TeenLit Community Forums  

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   TeenLit Community Forums > Writing > Long Term Writing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
herrshuster
TeenLit Regular

Send a message via MSN to herrshuster Send a message via Yahoo to herrshuster Send a message via Skype™ to herrshuster
Default BioHaz

So, as some of you may remember, I posted a story a while back called Biohaz. I wrote some additions and it became a short novel. have a few excerpts and tell me what you think.

. Ironic, Enigma thought, Hundreds of thousands of people fighting so no one will have to fight anymore. Why must humanity always be this way? He, like millions of others over millions of years, found no answer or comfort in his wondering.

“We’re with Enigma.” Kevin broke the silence. “They’re friends. Maybe if we take initiative, wars like this can be avoided. Man doesn’t have to fight. We can help each other for once. You, Christy, should know that. Going to Switzerland doesn’t change anything. The world doesn’t change. There will still be division. There will still be hate. And once humankind has killed everything they hate, they will find more things to hate. This is how the world ends, in hate and death. If you want to leave, you can go to Switzerland. But remember us when you’re old. Remember tonight.”
“I will. I’ll remember tonight when I look at your grave. When I hear the news that you died. That you died fighting for a lost cause. I’ll think about tonight when sit in comfort in my home and remember that you chose to stay behind to help a dying race.”

Bullicci stood before the crowd gathered in what was once all the glory of Notre Dame cathedral, the stone now cracked, the vaulted roof broken, holes in the majestic arches torn by tremors in the earth. Light streamed in through the gaps, tangled ivy cascaded down from above.

She crawled out of the water, hair hanging in sorry threads around her head. She coughed once, twice now, then collapsed onto the rock.
Hours later, she woke up and crawled on her hands and knees to a sitting position. She pushed the matting hair out of her eyes and gazed around her. The sun was setting now over the ocean, and in the twilight she could make out nothing but water for miles. She sighed resignedly and then began to cry.

“We are gathered here today to remember and cherish old friends. We are also here to celebrate that they died in order that we could now live here. Their deaths were not in vain, their sacrifices not for vain heroism. They died because they believed in what we all believe in: peace. They knew that pacifism is not the road to peace; they fought because sometimes, war and death is the only way. For Enigma and Kevin Heathcliffe, their way was death. Ours is life. We must now cherish those who are dead, and embrace those who can live. Peace to all of you.”