TeenLit Community Forums
Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
BeatOn_WriteOn
TeenLit Newbie

Default Fahrenheit 451

I recently had to read the story Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, and it really wasn't that bad. Actually, once I understood everything that was going on and analyzed it a bit more in class, I wanted to go back and read it again. It's a book written in the 30s (I think... not positive at all) about a utopia in the future, and it was surprisingly very accurate with all the minor details (i.e., big screen T.V.s, music head phones, etc.). But it didn't end up being such a utopia after, despite what most of the characters thought. Has anyone else read it? It's a great book to discuss, and I highly suggest it.
BeatOn_WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
herrshuster
TeenLit Regular

Send a message via MSN to herrshuster Send a message via Yahoo to herrshuster Send a message via Skype™ to herrshuster

yes. It's a wonderful book, written in ray bradbury's great style. I actually ended up writing an extra chapter to it. Anyway, you're right about the drifting toward that kind of world. it's scary to think what might happen
Old 05-14-2007, 02:14 AM   #3
mumblebee666
TeenLit Regular

Send a message via AIM to mumblebee666

Same here--I read it for school, and I really actually enjoyed it. I'm not much of a sci-fi junky, but Bradbury's writing style is so precise and well-planned. I haven't read his Martian Chronicles, which are even more sci-fi, but I Dandelion Wine was another of my favorites by Bradbury--it's about him reminiscing on his childhood memories, but he rolls them all up in one summer and adds a bit of a sci-fi twist to some of them.

~Marianne Williamson

mumblebee666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
JEM
Administrator

I didn't read it for school, and it really was a great book...although Brave New World is better

I didn't like the ending, but besides that the plot was really good.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
mumblebee666
TeenLit Regular

Yeah, I agree about the ending; it was a little anticlimatic in that it sort of happened in an insignifigant rush.

I'm holding off on "Brave New World" because it's in the senior curriculum for me next year. Looking foreward to it, though!

~Marianne Williamson

Old 06-26-2007, 02:08 AM   #6
MrM
Team Leader

The books mentioned in this thread are some of my favorites. This year I taught Fahrenheit 451 to my 8th grade class and had mixed reviews. I really think it's one of those books that takes a second or third reading to really understand.

I'm a fan of Bradbury in general!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
mumblebee666
TeenLit Regular

Personally, I'm not so much into all of his stuff. "Dandelion Wine" is my favorite of his works, though.

~Marianne Williamson

Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
calibabygirl42o
TeenLit Regular

I loved it. It is now one of my all time favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrshuster View Post
yes. It's a wonderful book, written in ray bradbury's great style. I actually ended up writing an extra chapter to it. Anyway, you're right about the drifting toward that kind of world. it's scary to think what might happen
^^^ is there anyway i could read the extra chapter you wrote??